Pharmacy/cefixime vs levofloxacin

For cough, cold and throat infection, my dr gave me levofloxacin 500 mg daily in the past and was very effective.

Recntly for similar symptoms, he gave me cefixime 200 mg twice daily. Which one is more appropriate and more effective or rather ideal with least side effect

Hello Devi,
Both Levofloxacin and cefixime are for uppoer respiratory tract infections, both are good drugs and the dffierence being in their chemical class. Cefixime can be safely used used pregnancy and in children while levofloxacin cannot. Either of the drugs will help in non pregnant adults.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.