Pharmacy/curious

Question
Hi there, I was wondering why they say that certain blood-thinning type of pain relieving drugs, such as Ibuprofen, aspirin, & Naproxin increases one's chances of getting a stroke.  If that's the case, then why do blood-thinning medications like Warfarin & pradaxia [reduce] the chance of stroke?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Dan,
Strokes are of two types, in both cases the blood flow to a part of the brain is stopped. This could happen due to a break in the blood vessel (with bleeding-known as a haemorrhagic stroke) or due to due to clot (ischaemic stroke).
Blood thinners increase the risk of haemorrhagic strokes while reducing the risk of ischaemic strokes.
For detailed information on strokes I draw your attention to the url:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001740/
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi  

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi