Pharmacy/Flagyl question?

I have been prescribed Flagyl 500mg 3 times a day for 14 days for C Diff. Now I read about seizures and nerve damage issues as a side effect. How common is this side effect? I tend to be a worrier when it comes to side effects, and this one bothers me. I just took the first pill 10 minutes ago from the time I typed this and I am worried.

Hi Dustin,
In my 34 years of practice I have not seen a single case of seizures related to Flagyl. I have taken the drug myself. The most common side effect is bad taste in your mouth, so take it with food to avoid this bad taste. Another warning is to avoid alcohol while taking the medication, and for 14 days after the course of treatment is finished. Alcohol and Flagyl do npt mix. The combination will make you extremely sick. it is sometimes used to treat alcoholics to make then stay away from alcohol.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to