there are reports that 4000 people took ambien 2 years and had no long term on cbs tv they said a scripps-howard report stating long term ambien and lunesta caused dementia,memory loss and a shortned life expentcy of 2 years.of course they had no access on how the people died.what is your opion if you take ambien 3 or 4 nites a week

I don't have the detailed knowledge or time to read and review all the research, but have you considered both might be right?

A two year study may not show any long term side effects in itself, but how long beyond that was the assessment continued?

Shortening life expectancy by 2 years may or may not be significant. If the patient is in their 20's think how long it is likely to take to show that statistic! So by implication, those patients whose life appeared (and I stress appeared) to have been shortened were already many years older, and may equally of been at an increased risk of death from old age or other disease.

I think you are trying to compare apples and pears, and inferring a clinical relationship where there isn't one.

I hope this helps.

Nigel Simmons

I am happy to answer general questions on medicines and hospital care. If possible, please use approved / chemical names rather than brands which are not internationally recognised. Like all health professionals I am bound by a duty of care which prevents me giving detailed information about medication or treatment of people other than the questioner. I will endeavour to help wherever possible or point towards more appropriate advice. If however your question crosses too far into patient confidentiality, I hope you will understand why I cannot answer your question. Consider.. would you want me to discuss your care with a friend or relative without your knowledge?

Previously Sysop on CompuServe UK Professionals forum.