] I have been taking Metformin 500 mg SR twice daily. As despite taking the medicines as above, my FBS was 123 and PPBS was 218 My doctor suggested Glemipride 2 mg once daily. My query is what is this drug and whether I can use combination of GLYCOMET GP 1 mg twice daly for dose convenience ( Glycomet gp 1 is meformin 500 sr and glemipride 1 mg )

Hi Harsvadan,
Glymipride is a sulfonylurea while metformin is a biguanide. These two are the first line of treatment of diabetes. A doctor may begin the treatment of a patient with either of them, most commonly metformin is the first drug of choice. As soon as it becomes evident that diabetic control is incomplete,the second drug is added. So for a patient on metformin, I would add glymipride. Both these drugs increase the output of insulin from the pancreas and to some extent help the uptake of glucose in the peripheral cells. This combination is the most common one used in diabetes. You can take this without fear of any side effect or any other risk.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.