Pharmacy/ambien

Question
i wrote you some e-mails about my insommnia problems and you were kind enough to answer in a pleasent way.im 79 been on xanax 2mg 4 years.will try to reduce it to 1mg and see how i feel.i was taking remeron,xanax,lunesta.my doctor says reduce xanax slowly and take ambien instead of remeron.now every medicine has side effects.you stated you knew patients who took ambien for years.all the articles of long term ambien causing central nervous system damage and memory loss are scare tactics.my pharmasist said no reliable scientific report that long term ambien does central nervous damage or permenent memory loss are false.fda would have pulled it from the market.i guess the lesser of the evils is to get xanax down to .05 and take ambien as long as it works and not let the fear momgers get to me.appreciate your candid manner and as a chronic insommnia my options are limited god bless

Answer
Hi, Ambien is designed to treat insomnia more so than remeron.  Xanax 2mg should be reduced slowly to 1mg to avoid withdrawal symptoms.  I cannot say that all those articles about ambien causing central nervous system damage and memory loss are scare tactics.  There are drugs that cause hearing loss and irreversible damage to pregnant or nursing mothers but the FDA still allows them to be on the market.  Hence, I cannot say what your pharmacist says was correct about having ambien pulled off the market by the FDA if it caused brain damage.  There may be reliable data that supports the claim that ambien does damage the nervous system and cause memory loss.  However, ambien is widely prescribed because of its efficacy and safety.  You may eventually get xanax down to 1/2mg if your doctor is okay with it.  I would also make sure you are taking ambien when you are going to bed or up to 1/2 hour before it.  A problem patients have is that they take it too early in the evening.

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi