QUESTION: hi,i am currently on remeron 15mg for sleep.due to weight gain my doctor wanted to switch me to gabitril.i never had a seizure,and gabitril is not approved for safe is gabitril taken for sleep by non-epilectics

ANSWER: Dear Howard,

Gabitril is indicated for the treatment of seizures in epileptics as you stated.  It is not the best drug to be used for insomnia treatment, which is true of most if not all anti epileptics.  Since this drug class is not first or second line treatment for sleep disorders makes it less safer than other alternatives.  I am uncertain why your physician did not prescribe a sedative non-benzodiazepine hypnotic such as zolpidem (Ambien), lunesta, or sonata, which are indicated for sleep disorders.  They are less addictive than a drug class known as benzodiazepines, such as Valium.  I would recommend discussing other options with your physician or getting a second opinion from another medical doctor.

QUESTION: thanks for your intelligent and quick response.currently i am on remeron and i take ambien 2 times a week.the reason my doctor states literature states ambien is for short term use like no more then 30 i take remeron 3 times a week and ambien 3 or 4 times a week.appreceiate the way you responded to me,most of the experts are short and seem to talk down to the patient.i was thinling of taking xanax possibly instead of remeron thanks howard

Dear Howard,  there are patients who are on ambien for years.  The general recommended guidelines for dosing of remeron and ambien is to take each daily and not 3 to 4 times/week.  The medications are being dosed too infrequently so they are not building up in your system.  If the drugs don't build up in your system, then they will not be effective in relieving your insomnia.  Please do not switch to xanax.  Have your doctor change the frequency of the meds or switch to rozerem.

Nanaz Khosrowshahi

Being a pharmacist, I can answer questions on medications. This includes how drugs work in the body, drug interactions, drug side effects, warnings and precautions to take when using certain medications, dosage forms and strengths, management of overdosing, storage of medications, drug administration, contraindications, and drug indications. I am able to guide them on lab work that needs to be drawn and monitored while on certain medications. I am able to help patients save money when purchasing medications by directing them to cost-effective therapies. I am able to answer questions on federal laws governing pharmacy practice in the United States. I am unable to answer questions legally as if I am diagnosing the patient's disease or illness. For example, if a patient stated he had upper flank pain, I am unable to say he definitely has a urinary tract infection. However, I am able to direct the patient to the correct next step, which is to call his physician with such a side effect.

I have been a licensed pharmacist since 2007, holding licenses in CT and MA. I have a PHARM.D from an accelerated pharmacy school program. Currently, I work at the Hebrew Home and Hospital in West Hartford, CT as a pharmacist. I am a well-rounded pharmacist, with experience in long-term care, IV home infusion, retail, hospital, and hospice. I serve as the pharmacy unit coordinator for Mass Dispensing Area #31 in CT, where I am called upon as a volunteer pharmacist in case of public emergencies, such as anthrax threats. I helped run the swine flu vaccine clinic in 2009. I am on the Editorial Advisory Board for Pharmacy Today, a publication of the American Pharmacists Association. My position on the board runs for three years. Every month I make suggestions and offer ideas that would help improve the magazine. I have undergone extra training to administer vaccines to patients, which is training that only a certain percentage of registered pharmacists in the country have.

American Pharmacists Association 2007

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA- PHARM.D 2007 University of California, Irvine- BA psychology 2001 cum laude