Pharmacy/addiction

Question
  I have arthritis and during the night the pain and aches keep me awake.  
  I bought a cheap over the counter medicine called "Pain Relief PM" which is Acetaminophren 500mg and Diphenhydramine hci 25mg.  I took it for 5 days and I could sleep.  Then I stopped because I don't want to get addicted.  But now the pain is back and I can't sleep again.  Can you tell me if it is bad to take this on a regular basis or is it OK way to get some sleep?

Answer
Hi Don,

Over the counter medications such as Pain Relief PM should be taken on a regular basis only under the supervision of a doctor.  Hence, this is a question to ask your physician.  Pain Relief PM may only provide temporary relief of your arthritis pain and resulting insomnia.  You may need medication that is prescription only that is stronger than over the counter medication.  Diphenhydramine can be addicting.  You may develop a tolerance for it so it may not be effective long term for treating insomnia.  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi