Pharmacy/pain meds

Question
  I have arthritis and during the night the pain and aches keep me awake.  
  I bought a cheap over the counter medicine called "Pain Relief PM" which is Acetaminophren 500mg and Diphenhydramine hci 25mg.  I took it for 5 days and I could sleep.  Then I stopped because I don't want to get addicted.  But now the pain is back and I can't sleep again.  Can you tell me if it is bad to take this on a regular basis or is it OK way to get some sleep?

Answer
Hi Don, This medication is a generic formulation for Tylenol Pm. Tylenol (acetaminophen is recommended for mild to moderate arthritis pain but diphenhyramine is not recommended for people over 65 because it can cause problems with daytime drowsiness and cognition.
I would check with your dr to see what he/she recommends for your arthritis associated insomnia. Hope this helps,Mary

Pharmacy

Mary E Scott, RPh, CGP