Pharmacy/pain at night

I have arthritis and during the night the pain and aches keep me awake.  
  I bought a cheap over the counter medicine called "Pain Relief PM" which is Acetaminophren 500mg and Diphenhydramine hci 25mg.  I took it for 5 days and I could sleep.  Then I stopped because I don't want to get addicted.  But now the pain is back and I can't sleep again.  Can you tell me if it is bad to take this on a regular basis or is it OK way to get some sleep?

Hello Don,
Pain relief is possible with plain paracetamol (acetaminophen) which is freely available. Diphenhydrammine is an antihistamine and a good sedative. In the US diphenhydrammine is routinely used to aid sleep. It is not exactly addictive but it can be habit forming. I would advice yo to take plain acetaminophen which will give you pain relief.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi  

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.