Pharmacy/Propranolol ER vs. XL

I wondered if there is a difference between Propranolol ER versus Propranolol  XL.  I gather that are both extended release (as compared to regular propranolol. Is the ER/XL thing just a name brand issue?

Hi Leigh,
In most cases XL and ER are interchangeable. You need to look at the individual pharmacoknetic characteristic of the formulation. For example an XL preparation of one substance may be designed to release over a 24 hour perod whereas the ER preparation of the same substance may be designed to release over a 12 hour period. In this case the XL and ER are NOT interchangeable. Such an example in real life is bupropion  which has 2 formulations that are not interchangeable. To my knowledge the propranolol ER and XL are interchangeable.
Thank you foor using Allexperts,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm  

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to