Pharmacy/Can I still be a Pharmacist?

Question
Hi Nanaz, my name is Bianca and I am 17 years old and about to be a senior in high school. Over my junior year I have been considering becoming a pharmacist and I know I need to be strong in chemistry and math.

I took AP Chemistry last year and received a 1 on the the actual test, but an A over all in the class. Also because of scheduling conflicts next year, I won't be able to take organic chemistry. Will this effect me becoming a pharmacist in the future?

Also, could you tell me any other jobs a pharmacist does? I know the basic, filling prescriptions, but I wanted to know if there's any other things that pharmacists do.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.

Answer
Dear Bianca,

You are correct when you state you need to be strong in math and chemistry to be a pharmacist.  Do not worry about your AP Chemistry grade.  You can take organic chemistry another time; it should not affect your becoming a pharmacist in the future.   I have met pharmacists who have flunked general chemistry or organic chemistry in college and passed at a later time.  Not all pharmacists got A's in high school science either.   It is important to get good grades in college for admission to Rx school.

As a pharmacist, you have to monitor for drug interactions with other drugs, food, drink, lab tests, etc.  You have to monitor patient lab work and catch the doctor's errors in dosing.  You have to deal with doctors, nurses, patients, and insurance companies.  You have to research questions asked of you.  You monitor the pharmacy interns and technicians.  You attend meetings discussing what medications to put on formulary vs non formulary for hospitals/ long term care facilities.  You have to monitor drug inventory and comply to federal and state laws for the practice of pharmacy.

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi