I have very recently been diagnosed with Osteartheritis in the Sternoclavicle Joint  which is visable although I have no pain what-so-ever and prescribed Clucosamine ..1500 x 3 times daily ..this is of the chewable kind ..As yet I can see no change in the visable swollen joint ...yet my feet and ankles which did tend to swell chronically during the recent heatwave ...have remained normal ..which is of great relief to me.
I also take 5 mg of Prednisolone as I have only a left Adrenal Gland and DHEA 25mg od...for an extremely low DHEA-sluphate ..the latter has returned to normal since I started to take 25mg od DHEA supplement as an experiment by my Emdocrinologist.I have taken these for over 6 months in which my ankles and feet did swell in hot weather.
I am both delighted and amazed with what I consider is the Knock on Affect of taking Clucosamine ..although I am interested to know why ?
I wonder if you are able to throw any light on this please.

My regards
Lorna Charlton

Hi Lorna,
Glucosamine stops the loss of cartillage between the joints to slow down the deterioration. In some cases it also helps rebuild the cartillage. Both these actions provide pain relief. Ppain relief is also obtained from the prednisolone. The prednisolone should also help reduce the swelling.
Thankk you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to