Pharmacy/prevpack

Question
Mary, I may have to get tested for the bacterial infection H. Pylori, due to stomach issues. If I test positive, it appears that it is treated with PREVPAC (lansoprazole, amoxicillin and clarithromycin) for 2 weeks. I have read horror story after horror story from people saying the side effects were truly awful. Not only that, but it doesn't always work or if it does, the infection often returns anyway. If that weren't enough, because I have trouble swallowing large pills, I wouldn't be able to take the last two listed. I don't think there is, but are there any options at all to this treatment?? What would you do?  Thanks

Answer
Hi,Lee!
One course of omeprazole (or lansoprazole),amoxicillin and clarithromycin ususally takes care of the infection and doesn't have to be repeated if taken completely. If you can't take large tablets/capsules, amoxicillin and clarithromycin are available in liquid form. As far as the horror stories are concerned, it helps if you have some food in your stomach before taking. Hope this helps, Mary

Pharmacy

Mary E Scott, RPh, CGP