Pharmacy/dose increase or metoprolol ER

Question
I am a 49 y.o. female who has been taking 25mg metoprolol ER for hypertesion (I started on toprol XL then switched about 2yrs ago). recently I had a spike in my bp, it went to 206/110, and last week my primary MD increased my dose to 37.5 (1 1/2 tabs). I have been experiencing light-headedness, feeling off balance, and my bp hovers around the 150/100's. when I spoke to my primary, she doesn't think it's the med, and wants to add norvasc 2.5. I have allergies to ALOT of bp meds (lisinipril, HCTZ). I also take 125 mg of synthroid daily, I had my thyroid removed 5 yrs ago. I am 5' 6", 195 lbs. i recently cut all junk food from my diet and increased fruits/veg. I don't want to have these symptoms, take anymore meds, and want to start excercise and lose weight. Should I go back to my original dose?

Answer
Hi Vanessa,
Diet, and exeercise with aim for weight loss is an excellent way to approach the problem. A 10 percent drop in weight would go a long way to help your health and well being. Un til you reach that goal of weight loss I recommend measuring your blood pressure 2 or 3 times a day at the same time each day in order to establish a pattern and then decide if a dosage adjustment or adding a new medication to the regimen is warranted.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt