Pharmacy/Predisone

Question
This concern is about my husband.  He took 100mg of predisone for approximately 5 months for loss of vision he experienced.  He had a terrible reaction at the time moon face,weight gain.  That was approximately 15 years ago.  Since that time he has had muscle weakness,many dental issues,stomach issues,but the most and worst is his personality change.  It is almost like he has no feeling for anyone or anything.  Could the use of predisone 15 years ago change his personality still today?  He suffers from anxiety and I feel depression.  He gets agitated and aggravated very easily.  He continues to run from doctor to doctor from Gastrolgist to urologist to neurologist.  The last Gastrologist he saw told him he has nothing physically wrong and suggested he see a pychiastis.  He has thought he had MS.  I believe I have read that muscle weakness is also a side effect.  Could all of these symptoms be due to his predisone use.  It seem to help his vision loss or at least it didnt get any worse.  But I often wonder what life would be like without the use of the predisone.  It seems as if that was the last time I saw my loving husband. It just seems like he has no peace in his life or enjoyment. I feel so bad for him and just do not know where to turn.  
Sincerely

Answer
Hi Tammy,
Prednisone can cause personality changes but re reaction occurs during use, not 15 years after the drug is stopped.
Optic neuritiis is a common symptom of MS as is muscle weakness. Your husband needs to see a neurologiist.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt