Pharmacy/Packaging

Question
Hi Nanaz,
I am a hiker/outdoors person, I always look at ways of cutting down weight and size of the things I must carry in my pack.
Questions is:
Can pills/tablets be popped out of there individually wrapped multi-packed sheets and place in a air tight container(film canister) without degrading there effectivness?
I realise I still have to know expiry dates and dosage of pills but would there be any other effects on the medicine(pills)?
Would i have to add a 'silica gel' pad to keep them dry?
Thanks for any information you can give,
Kind regards,
Leigh.

Answer
Dear Leigh,

It depends on the pill/tablet if it can be popped out of the individual wrapping and placed in an air tight container.  Certain drugs need to be protected from light, so even though the film canister container is air tight it may not be providing adequate protection from light.  Certain pills you are not supposed to remove until just before administration.  

The medications can lose potency, not work properly in the body, or degrade if not stored properly.
I would not use a silica gel pad to keep them dry since this is not meant for all drugs.

One step you could take is trying to take the medications before or after your outdoor activities as long as it is okay with your doctor and does not cause side effects that might be dangerous while outdoors (ie dizziness, drowsiness, etc)

Thanks,

Nanaz

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi