Pharmacy/Tacrolimus eye drops

After the bottle is opened & being used, how long is it still good?

The usual practice for most eye drops is that they should not be used for longer than a month unless the manufacturer advises anything shorter.

However, I can find no record of a commercial product of Tacrolimus Eye Drops, so I suspect they are specially prepared (compounded). Depending on how this is done, the shelf life could differ. I would therefore suggest that you check with the supplying pharmacy or direct with the manufacturer if you have their details.

Risks with eye drops come from two factors - the possibility that the active materials may degrade over time (and accelerated by heat); and the risk that the contents may become contaminated during use, risking transferring any infection back to the user. For these reasons it is not advisable to stretch usage beyond the recommended shelf life.

I hope this helps.

Nigel Simmons

I am happy to answer general questions on medicines and hospital care. If possible, please use approved / chemical names rather than brands which are not internationally recognised. Like all health professionals I am bound by a duty of care which prevents me giving detailed information about medication or treatment of people other than the questioner. I will endeavour to help wherever possible or point towards more appropriate advice. If however your question crosses too far into patient confidentiality, I hope you will understand why I cannot answer your question. Consider.. would you want me to discuss your care with a friend or relative without your knowledge?

Previously Sysop on CompuServe UK Professionals forum.