Pharmacy/Tacrolimus eye drops

Question
After the bottle is opened & being used, how long is it still good?

Answer
Delores

The usual practice for most eye drops is that they should not be used for longer than a month unless the manufacturer advises anything shorter.

However, I can find no record of a commercial product of Tacrolimus Eye Drops, so I suspect they are specially prepared (compounded). Depending on how this is done, the shelf life could differ. I would therefore suggest that you check with the supplying pharmacy or direct with the manufacturer if you have their details.

Risks with eye drops come from two factors - the possibility that the active materials may degrade over time (and accelerated by heat); and the risk that the contents may become contaminated during use, risking transferring any infection back to the user. For these reasons it is not advisable to stretch usage beyond the recommended shelf life.

I hope this helps.

Pharmacy

Nigel Simmons