gisella,in our past e-mail you informed me chance of non-epilectic getting seizurers is onli 1%iam taking gabitril with ambien.does gabitril effect enlarged prostate/and is it safe to take with my blood thinner elliquis.thanks

Hi there, Howard.
Firstly, Gabitril (tiagabine) and Elliquis (apixaban) are safe to use together.  They do not interact with each other in any way.  

According to data from clinical trials, Elliquis was found to cause urinary retention 'infrequently' (where infrequently is defined as occurring in 1/100 to 1/1000 patients).  Such data is important but it must also be taken with a grain of salt.  Such incidences of urinary retention may have, in fact, been related to other medications a patient was on, or other conditions the patient was suffering.  Remember that pharmaceutical companies are obligated to list all reported adverse effects.  Having reviewed the drug's mechanism of action and the receptors it is known to engage with, it would be unexpected to cause issues with passing urine.  This is, of course,  theoretical, and is not always the case in practice.  The bottom line is that the known risk of causing urinary retention is low.  There is no evidence to suggest that it has any direct effect on the prostate itself.

I hope this helps.  All the very best.  

Gisella Campanelli

I am able to answer questions relating to pharmaceuticals, therapeutic regimes and primary health care. This includes offering advice on drug indications, dosages, and disease state management. I can also identify side effects, drug interactions and contra-indications, and offer recommendations on ways to mitigate these. I can diagnose minor illnesses and suggest appropriate over-the-counter remedies and/or preventive healthcare tips. I can recognize cardinal symptoms which would otherwise require referral to a medical practitioner.

I am a registered pharmacist in Australia, and I have practiced in a hospital pharmacy for over thirteen years. My clinical specializations lie within the areas of psychiatry and general medicine (including gastroenterology, respiratory, endocrinology, neurology, infectious diseases, gerontology, dermatology). I self-managed the training program for pharmacy interns in preparation for their final registration exams, and I have worked for the Pharmacy Board of Australia as an examiner and exam writer.

I hold a Bachelor of Pharmacy from the Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University, and I am board-registered to practice within Australia. I also hold a Master's degree in an unrelated field (art conservation).