Pharmacy/losing weight on lithium

Question
hello eric, i'm really having a hard time trying to lose weight on lithium. i have tried every diet i could think of but nothing is working. does hypothyroidism come into play here, an increase in appetite,edema, or is it something else entirely. i cant figure it out and i need your help. i would really appreciate any advice you can give me. thanks. by the way, im switching from lithium to lamictal and im currently on 600mg lithium tapering down to 0.

Answer
Hi Christopher,
Lithium is known to cause weight gain. The mechanism for the weight gain is not fully understood. Hypothyroidism is one possible cause/factor. Have your thyroid function checked out to rule that out.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt