eric,im 80 years old have diabetes,hypertension and a-fib.i have been taking sonata for a couple of weeks and it works well.i read that you should not take sonata for long time if you are seniors.why not.i thought it was safe.also was on remeron for sleep and in side effect profile it said remeron can aggravate enlarged prostate.any idea what other safe medication with my age and conditions I can take

Hi Howard,
Long term use of Sonatta could led to dependence, cause delerium and lead to falls.
Remeron can aggrevate enlarged prostatae as you already know. There is no absolutely   safe sleep medication. Use what works at the lowest possible effective dose.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to