Pharmacy/Crestor question

Question
Hi...
My husband was told to increase his Crestor from 10 mg. to 20 mg. last January by the new cardiologist.  He wanted his LDL lower.  He had a heart attack/stent in January, 2011.
Last week, the AST liver enzyme was elevated to 105.  
The normal highest range on this lab report is 45.  He was told to totally discontinue the drug
until mid-January, and recheck the blood work and see the cardiologist then.  Our "old" cardiologist feels he should recheck in two weeks after stopping, and THEN see if the enzymes go down. If so, start taking only 5 mg. of Crestor, and recheck in a few weeks again from then.  He does not think he should go "unprotected" until mid-January.  Now we are totally confused.  My personal belief is a pharmacist knows more about medications than physicians, for the most part.  
Any insight/thoughts greatly appreciated.  We know you can't give medical advice, but you can see why it is confusing, I'm sure.  Thank you!

Answer
Hi Sharyn,
Dosage adjustments with Crestor are recommended to be done at 2 to 4 week inervals. In this situation we are chrcking for adverse effects on the liver as well as adjusting the dose.  Itt is reasonable to check liver function in 2 weeks. However it may take longer before the drug can be restarted depending on the liver function.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerly,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt