Pharmacy/Looking for a medication that will help me loose weight. With CHF

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I have congestive heart failure. I am taking meny medications to help control it. I also have schizoaffective disorder and meny of the medication I am on have caused allot of weight gain over the past few years. I started gaining weight 5 or 6 years ago when I was put on antipsychotics with I need. I can't do very much exercise because of the congestive heart failure. I am 5'8 28 years old 301lbs. I have medicare and the AARP enhanced plan (PDP)

ANSWER: Hi,

I am uncertain what medications Medicare and AARP cover.  There are certain antipsychotics that are more likely to cause weight gain than others. If you are unable to exercise because of the congestive heart failure, then I would talk to a physician about eating healthier to lose weight.  Weighing 301 lbs at 5'8 is being obese, and it may be exacerbating the signs or symptoms of schizoaffective disorder and congestive heart failure.  Your medications might work better if you were closer to a normal weight for your age, gender, and height.

QUESTION: Thank you for you're reply. I have talked to my doctor about eating better. But can you give me a list og posable medications that might make me loose weight, so I can reseach them and talk to my doctor about them?

Answer

I am glad you have talked to your doctor about eating better.  There is a drug called Alli, that might help you lose weight.  However, there are certain antipsychotics that are more likely to cause weight gain than others.  Clozapine and olanzapine are more likely to cause weight gain than other medications in this drug class.  Perhaps your MD could prescribe a different antipsychotic.  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi