Pharmacy/gabitril

Question
if you are taking gabitril and add remeron are you increasing threashold for seizurers

Answer
Dear Howard,
Remeron (mirtazapine), in its own right, can lower seizure threshold.  The manufacturer advises caution when used in epileptics.  It suggests using low doses and to titrate slowly.  Theoretically, the use of Remeron with Gabitril could increase the risk of seizures, and the combination is ill-advised (although not completely contra-indicated).  A physician may opt for the combination provided low doses of each are used, dose increases are conservative, and the patient is monitored carefully.

I hope this helps.

Pharmacy

Gisella Campanelli