eric,I am 80 years old and have terrible itching problem.the only thing that works is 30mg hydroxyzine,i hear it is safe for kidneys and prostate.even at my age will that low dose cause me any serious problems

Hi Howard,
Hydroxyzine is generally safe. I can cause drowsiness which can lead to falls. That may be  a concern at your age or any age. Also it has some anticholinergic properties so can worsen urinary retention iif you have an enlarged prostate. The anticholinergic properties could also cause constipation.
Than you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B..Sc. Pharm,

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to