eric,I have a frusting solution I hope you can help clear up.i am 80 years I oldand recently my blood sugar spikes at night starting at 900pm to as high as 185/55.i take a o.1 clonidine and it brings it down to normal in a hour .my pulse rate is 50-60 but clonidine does not seem to drop it to problem is I keep on seeing articles on internet that people over 65 should not take clonidine.its the only medicine that brings down my taking 2 o.1 clonidine safe or if not what are alternates.i cant take dieuricts because my kidney function at my age is comprised.can I continue to take 2 o.1 clonidine daily.i cant let my blood pressure stay at 185 levels.i also take  100mg labetalol  dinner with amlodipine

Hi Howard,
I think you mean to say that your blood pressure spikes not your blood sugar. Clonidine is not contraindicated in the elderly.
If it works for you then continue using it.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to