Pharmacy/clonidine

Question
eric,I have a frusting solution I hope you can help clear up.i am 80 years I oldand recently my blood sugar spikes at night starting at 900pm to as high as 185/55.i take a o.1 clonidine and it brings it down to normal in a hour .my pulse rate is 50-60 but clonidine does not seem to drop it to low.my problem is I keep on seeing articles on internet that people over 65 should not take clonidine.its the only medicine that brings down my spikes.is taking 2 o.1 clonidine safe or if not what are alternates.i cant take dieuricts because my kidney function at my age is comprised.can I continue to take 2 o.1 clonidine daily.i cant let my blood pressure stay at 185 levels.i also take  100mg labetalol  dinner with amlodipine

Answer
Hi Howard,
I think you mean to say that your blood pressure spikes not your blood sugar. Clonidine is not contraindicated in the elderly.
If it works for you then continue using it.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt