Pharmacy/Medication for Panic

I have panic disorder.  I have tried Buspar and Xanax, and Ativan.  Also have been on beta blockers, but I am so sensitive to the medication and side effects.  I am now on 6.25 mg of Zoloft per day. I started on 25mg but could not take the side effects.  This small amount has stopped the spontaneous panic attacks and taken the edge off of the anxiety.  I have been on it for a month now and I am also using a light box for 1 hour a day.  I know that Zoloft has to build up in your body.  Will this small dose eventually build up to a level that will stop the panic and anxiety?  I know it will take longer probably to hit a good level because of the small dose.

Hi Georginia,
Zoloft or Sertraline is a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI). These drugs take 3 to weeks to start producing their effect after beginning, and this is not due  to drug accumulation but due to its slow effect on serotonin levels in the brain.
In my opinion your dose is a bit too low and I feel  you  may not get the full effect at this dose.
Let me assure you that side effects are common when you  begin the therapy , this usually settles down and in a week or two patients are quite comfortable with  the medication. None the less each person  responds differently to a drug and you may be over reactive to it. Yet I think you should now double the dose and continue that for a month. I  am sure you will find increased benefits. I would request you  to  make the change and get back  to me with your reaction, then  we could decide further.
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.