Pharmacy/Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg

QUESTION: Hello Eric,

Last night I found a tick on my arm. It was very small, size of a pencil head or 1/3 size of a piece of rice. I didn't even know it until I felt an itch. I looked and thought it was a skin tab, but then it's legs wiggled. Hours earlier I was mowing tall grass, so it may have hitched a ride then. I did my best with tweezers, but I may have left a leg or so in. I read it doesn't matter that much if a small part is left behind, as it will work it's way out like a splinter. I can't see anything, but again it's real small.

After speaking with my doctor, they prescribed Doxy, 2 tabs orally, one time taken today only. The bite site isn't red, I don't feel any adverse reactions or sick at all. My only questions are 1) will this take care of that tick bite and any bacteria it may have inserted in me? and 2) when is it save to consume alcohol after taking these tablets today and 3) should I send the saved critter parts for testing, where?

I read people have issues weeks even months after. The tick wasn't on me long, anywhere from 1 to 6 hours, but it was biting in and didn't want to come off. I'm wondering if this antibacterial is the end all be all fixit, or if it's just an aide or helper to fix it and I'm going to have long term issues? Thanks for your help.

ANSWER: Hi Mike,
Your doctor prescribed the correct treatment for preventing Lymes disease.  Th treatment was early enough and you should not have  any long term issues.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

QUESTION: Hello Eric,
I'm sorry, but I'm a little unclear about the Doxy. Does it mean that because I took that one dose, there is no chance of getting Lyme disease, if it were an issue? I do have a little red spot, size of a pea. But it doesn't really hurt or anything and the size, shape and consistency of the spot hasn't changed since removal. When do people get that big bullseye mark they always talk about? Honestly, if I thought anything was an issue with the bite site, I have no problem with cutting out a chunk and taking care of it. I just want to be certain that 1) the dose was all I need and there is nothing else to do and 2) that I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder for the next few months wondering if there is going to be more repercussions. Thanks so much.

Hi Mike,
Not all ticks carry Lyme disease. The treatment you received is the known preventative treatment to prevent Lyme disease. You should still be on the lookout for the lesion becoming larger. But the chances are in your favor to not develop Lyme disease following the treatment you received.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to