Pharmacy/Sinus & nasal douche

Question
Hi Nanaz,

Im in Melbourne, Australia, and use a product called Flo which is a sinus and nasal douche - see: http://www.enttech.com.au/products/flo-sinus-care - which has eliminated my problems with crusty/bleeding nostrils, hay fever and post-nasal drip that I suffered with for years. I continue to use it once a day in the mornings.

The problem is that it is expensive to buy the refill sachets (am on a pension) and Im looking to make up my own solution at home which would be a safe, long-term equivalent to the ingredients the manufacturer shows on the packaging. It states: Sodium Chloride (0.75mg/ml when reconstituted), Potassium Chloride and Xylitol.

I have found on the internet that I could use equal parts (1/4-1/2 tspn) of non-iodized salt, baking/bi-carb soda & xylitol but, after trying that recipe, I have an extremely unpleasant chemical smell/taste in my nose for the rest of the day. I have a very strong sense of smell whereas my cousin, following that recipe, has no problem with it. (She can hardly smell anything at anytime, though.) Is it the bi-carb soda thats doing it?

Can you suggest anything else I could substitute the Flo ingredients with and still result in the same fabulous result?
Many thanks,
Lyn

Answer

The xylitol or bi carb may have caused the unpleasant smell/taste.  

You can try saline nasal spray or netti pot to clear crustiness and hay fever.  Throat lozenges can be used for post nasal drip.  I know these are not homemade recipes, but they are worth trying.

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi