Pharmacy/Citalopram (Celexa)

Question
Eric
Of Course I will discuss this with my doctor, but I wanted your opinion as well.
Two summers ago I was going through a rough patch and my doctor prescribed this. He said it was the best option to take with my other prescription buproprion, which I actually take for my adult ADD, not depression.
The Celexa worked fine, with the added effect that it improved my I.B.S., and especially r4educed the bloating.It also reduced my urge to overimbibe alcohol.
A few months ago, I felt I was mentally back to normal, and went off the celexa. A few weeks later the I.B.S.  and bloating returned with a vengeance, worse than before but this time in the form of chronic abdominal distension.
I only put two a and two together recently, after doing lots of research. I think going off the celexa has caused the bloating. Lots of posts about this.
Although I am OK mentally, should I go back on the celexa for the sake of my stomach?
Also, I am starting to enjoy a few too many beers again. Maybe getting back on it will help that too? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Bud,
This makes perfect sense. There are serotonin receptors in the gut so they would respond to Celexa. There is a lot in the literature connecting the two. Go back on Celexa. Also it is not wise to stop Celexa abruptly. One needs to be weaned off.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt