Pharmacy/getting off lithium

Question
hi Nanaz, im currently tapering off lithium and will eventually get off after being on it for 21 years. i have bipolar I disorder. im now on 600mg and im still not losing any weight. im also on 30mg abilify and will soon be on lamictal. can you lose weight at 600mg or do i have to wait till i get off lithium completely. is there a special diet i can do in the mean time. thanks.

Answer
You may or may not lose weight at 600mg.  Since you have been on it for 21 years it may take a significant amount of time (months or years) for you to lose weight despite being tapered off or discontinuing it.  The lithium has built up in your system over 21 years and it will not automatically be removed from your system by tapering or withdrawal.  As far as a special diet goes, please ask your doctor.  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi