Pharmacy/Methotrexate

Question
Good day.

I'm wondering about the long term risks/side effects of Methotrexate.

I received methotrexate 50mg injected for the termination of a 5 week pregnancy (in Canada) a number of years ago. Everything went fine. I recently learned that this medication is used in cancer patients. I'm concerned about the long term health effects of that medication.

Thank you

Answer

If you received the methotrexate 50mg as a one time injection and for that one time only, the likelihood of you suffering any long term health effects from it is very low.  You are correct that it is used for cancer patients.  If you used it for a prolonged period of time (ie taking it daily for a consecutive number of days in a row, months, or years), then the likelihood of suffering long term health effects are much higher than a one time dose.  

Hope this helps!

Nanaz

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi