Pharmacy/pharmacy error advice

Thank you so much for your help.  I have a question about how to handle a situation that started with an pharamacy error.  Last month I picked up a refil for a medication that I take daily (anastrozole).  I requested a 2 month supply.  When I got home with it, it said that I had no refils left and it only contained a 1 month supply.  I figured since the refill was becoming expired that was why I only got 30 pills.  Today I called my oncologist to have my prescription moved to a new pharmacy closer to my house.  Now I found out that the old pharmacy billed the insurance for 2 months but I received only 1.  Now that insurance won't pay for the prescription since they say I should still have some.  I am not able to contact the older pharmacy since they are closed but i am in the morning.  I just wondered what i could probably expect in handling this.  Sorry for so much information.  I am just worried since i need this pill everyday and I am out.  (on a side note- is it bad to miss a few of these pills for the treatment of breast cancer?)  I do have a few femara pills left from a previous prescription, could i subsitute those for the anastrozole?  thank you again.

Hi Tanya,
Pharmacies sometimes do not have sufficient supply to completely fill a prescription. They may have given you 30 pills with 30 pills owing if they billed the insurance company for 2 months supply. Double check with them. If that is not the case you need to report to the insurance company that the pharmacy fraudulently billed for an incorect amount.
As for substituting, you need to check that with your oncologist.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to