Hi Nanaz and belated Happy New Year!
I am 56.I have been on Welbutrin for over 15 years now, ever since I was diagnosed with adult A.D.D.
It did seem to help, but lately I am questioning its usefullness. I am semi retired and under much less stress than before. Also, I am wondering if its side effects could be now outweighing its usefullness? I have slowly gained weight since I have been on it, and have entered a prediabetic state. In spite of dieting and exercise I cant get it down, and doctor says my thyroid is OK. Of course I will ask my own doc, but do you think it might be better now to go off than stay on?

Your weight gain and prediabetic state may or may not be due to the Well-Butrin.  It may be due to aging or genetics or from other factors.  If you cannot control your sugar levels and weight due to dieting and exercise, then I would speak to your physician about this.  Perhaps he or she along with the help of a dietician and/or nutritionist can work to find areas of your dieting and or exercise that can use improvement.  Trying another medication may help but there is no guarantee it will control your signs or symptoms of ADD.  There is no guarantee that it will not cause weight gain or spikes in sugar levels.  It is hard for me to say whether you should stay on it or discontinue; that decision is between you and your MD.  Stopping antidepressants such as Wellbutrin is usually not a good idea but slowly tapering the dose down is better.  I would perhaps ask your physician if you can try a trial lower dose reduction.  For example, if you are taking 150mg po daily, you can try reducing the dose to 100mg po daily.  If you reduce the dose, it may help control your sugar levels and weight better while keeping your ADD symptoms in check.  

Nanaz Khosrowshahi

Being a pharmacist, I can answer questions on medications. This includes how drugs work in the body, drug interactions, drug side effects, warnings and precautions to take when using certain medications, dosage forms and strengths, management of overdosing, storage of medications, drug administration, contraindications, and drug indications. I am able to guide them on lab work that needs to be drawn and monitored while on certain medications. I am able to help patients save money when purchasing medications by directing them to cost-effective therapies. I am able to answer questions on federal laws governing pharmacy practice in the United States. I am unable to answer questions legally as if I am diagnosing the patient's disease or illness. For example, if a patient stated he had upper flank pain, I am unable to say he definitely has a urinary tract infection. However, I am able to direct the patient to the correct next step, which is to call his physician with such a side effect.

I have been a licensed pharmacist since 2007, holding licenses in CT and MA. I have a PHARM.D from an accelerated pharmacy school program. Currently, I work at the Hebrew Home and Hospital in West Hartford, CT as a pharmacist. I am a well-rounded pharmacist, with experience in long-term care, IV home infusion, retail, hospital, and hospice. I serve as the pharmacy unit coordinator for Mass Dispensing Area #31 in CT, where I am called upon as a volunteer pharmacist in case of public emergencies, such as anthrax threats. I helped run the swine flu vaccine clinic in 2009. I am on the Editorial Advisory Board for Pharmacy Today, a publication of the American Pharmacists Association. My position on the board runs for three years. Every month I make suggestions and offer ideas that would help improve the magazine. I have undergone extra training to administer vaccines to patients, which is training that only a certain percentage of registered pharmacists in the country have.

American Pharmacists Association 2007

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA- PHARM.D 2007 University of California, Irvine- BA psychology 2001 cum laude