Pharmacy/Anti-anxiety Medication

Hello..I developed generalized anxiety disorder several years ago. Due to some life issues such as aging parents, loss of a friend, etc. over the past year, it has gotten much worse. My PCP tried 6 wks of Lexapro with no results. I'm now in my 7th wk of Buspar also with no results. The next drug he wants to try is Effexor. If the first 2 drugs didn't work I am wondering if the (37.5) Effexor will work. Any thoughts?  Thanks so much.

Hi Carol,
Effexor has a different mechanism of action from the othe two medications. It is similar to Lexapro but in addition to selective serotonin reuptake inhibition it also affects norepinephrine reuptake. it is worth a try.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to