Pharmacy/Cipro and yoga

Hello,  I am a 26-year-old otherwise healthy female who has an infection in my elbow. I was given double strength bactrim and 500mg of cirpo twice a day for 10 days.  Despite having read some very negative things about Cipro online, I have been advised by my doctor to keep taking it. So far, I have not had any adverse reaction.

I am scheduled to take a yoga class about a week after the antibiotics will end. I have read that Cipro can actually cause tendon rupture, and I do plan to try to stretch as deeply as possible. Is that safe? I certainly do not want to rupture attendance during what is supposed to be a relaxing yoga class… Or ever really.   I haven't been able to find much information online about how common tendon issues with Cipro are, or when it is safe to assume that your tendons are back to normal.

You can do yoga/stretch deeply and take cipro at the same time.  It is safe.  You can take the yoga class/stretch deeply after the antibiotics end.  I am not sure when you can assume your tendons are back to normal but if you notice any unusual signs or symptoms that you did not have before the antibiotics, please inform your MD.  I would recommend taking lactobacillus acidophilus which is available over the counter for at least 2 to 3 weeks after the antibiotics finishes not because of tendon rupture but because acidophilus restores your normal gut bacteria that the antibiotics kill.  I am uncertain if you are taking any oral contraceptives because the antibiotics can weaken their effectiveness.  If so and you are sexually active, I would recommend please using a back up method, such as condoms.  

Nanaz Khosrowshahi

Being a pharmacist, I can answer questions on medications. This includes how drugs work in the body, drug interactions, drug side effects, warnings and precautions to take when using certain medications, dosage forms and strengths, management of overdosing, storage of medications, drug administration, contraindications, and drug indications. I am able to guide them on lab work that needs to be drawn and monitored while on certain medications. I am able to help patients save money when purchasing medications by directing them to cost-effective therapies. I am able to answer questions on federal laws governing pharmacy practice in the United States. I am unable to answer questions legally as if I am diagnosing the patient's disease or illness. For example, if a patient stated he had upper flank pain, I am unable to say he definitely has a urinary tract infection. However, I am able to direct the patient to the correct next step, which is to call his physician with such a side effect.

I have been a licensed pharmacist since 2007, holding licenses in CT and MA. I have a PHARM.D from an accelerated pharmacy school program. Currently, I work at the Hebrew Home and Hospital in West Hartford, CT as a pharmacist. I am a well-rounded pharmacist, with experience in long-term care, IV home infusion, retail, hospital, and hospice. I serve as the pharmacy unit coordinator for Mass Dispensing Area #31 in CT, where I am called upon as a volunteer pharmacist in case of public emergencies, such as anthrax threats. I helped run the swine flu vaccine clinic in 2009. I am on the Editorial Advisory Board for Pharmacy Today, a publication of the American Pharmacists Association. My position on the board runs for three years. Every month I make suggestions and offer ideas that would help improve the magazine. I have undergone extra training to administer vaccines to patients, which is training that only a certain percentage of registered pharmacists in the country have.

American Pharmacists Association 2007

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA- PHARM.D 2007 University of California, Irvine- BA psychology 2001 cum laude