Pharmacy/Ritalin/Methylphenidate during pregnancy

Question

I am taking 20 mg per day of Ritalin/Methylphenidate. I have a fairly severe case of adult ADHD. I also take trileptal and Seroquel which I believe is Ok during pregnancy. I have been doing a lot of research on the Ritalin and really cant find any good answers on whether this drug can cause birth defects or neurological problems in the child.  Do you have any solid information?   Thank you.

Answer
Hello Nicole,
One may not trust the manufacturer about positive claims (they could be exagerated) but on negative issues we can trust them. The manufacturer says that it should not be used in children below 6 years of age, it causes long term growth suppression. Obviously I would advice against its use in pregnancy. It is also classified in category C for pregnancy. This means it has been found to be dangerous in pregnant animals though human data is lacking. We do not use drugs of this category during pregnancy, unless the mother's life depends on it.
I suggest you read the information give at
www.rxlist.com/ritalin-drug/warnings-precautions.htm

All the best.
Ravi Ghooi

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi