Pharmacy/Allergic Reaction To Ibuprofen

Question
Dear Nanaz,

First of all, thank you for giving me the opportunity to ask you some questions thru this website.

On the night of 20 November, while staying at my in-laws' place in a neighbouring country, I started to shiver, had chill followed by fever.   The next day (Friday), I saw a doctor and he prescribed Brufen telling me that I had a viral fever.  The follwing day (Saturday), I left for home with my wife and on the way, my fever went higher.  On transit, I saw another doctor who gave the same diagnosis and gave me an injection.  The fever went down a bit.

I continued with the Brufen and when I ran out of it, I took Panadol Extra.   On Sunday, I began to notice swelling with red patches on my forehead and both ears and also bubbles on my ear lobe.  It was only on Monday, when I saw my general practioner that he told me I have allergic reaction to Brufen when I told him I was prescribed this medicine and also took Panadol on my own.  

Although I do not want to question his medical expertise and have faith in him since he has been my doctor for the past few decades and has always been accurate in his diagnosis, I still have some doubts if the allergic reaction could have been caused by the injection.

I have had taken some Neurofen in the past, though on low dosage and very few tablets in between,and have never had any allergic reaction to it, now it seems that my body is reaction differently to it.

Since I was not told what kind of medication the doctor at the airport was using to inject on me, short of doing a blood test, there is no way to accurately identifying the actual culprit.  Perhaps, you may want to enlighten me on the use of Brufen and its allergic reaction and the possibility why my previous usage of Neurofen which did not produce any allergic reaction.   Thank you.

Lawrenz Ng

Answer
Hi,  Patient may take medications for years and have no issues with them, whether it is side effects or allergic reactions.  The patient may develop allergic reactions to the medications in life later.  I would try to contact the doctor at the airport to find if they have any records of what was injected into you.  A blood test at this point may not help since certain medications do not last that long in the body and the blood test may not detect anything.The injection was probably a steroid to reduce the symptoms you were experiencing.  Your reactoin may not have been drug related at all, but a sign or symptom of underlying illness.The reaction you had sounds like a typical allergic reaction almost any drug on the market may produce in the human body.  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi