Pharmacy/Cortisone in athletes

I'm an athlete, rules for competing in my country and specialty blandly state that cortisone medication is allowed as long as we wait for it to clear before to compete again.
This raises the question how long does it take for cortisone to clear from our system?
I have seen online something called "biological half-life", is that what I'm looking for?
Is that affected by how long we take the medication?
If you need any reference the medications I mostly refer to are betamethasone and difluocortolone valerate.

Hi Anna,
The biological half life is the time it takes half the mdication to clear the body. We consider the medication out of the system after 5 half lives have gone.
So if you know what the biological half life is then you can calculate how long you have to wait.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to