Pharmacy/Diphenhydramine HCl vs citrate

I took Advil p.m. years ago and found that my heart would start racing in the middle of the night. Would the diphenhydramine citrate elicit the same response?   I did not, nor do I now, drink at night or eat chocolate.  Thank you.

Hi Babs,
Advil pm contains ibuprofen and diphenhydramine HCl (an antihistamine). As per the known pharmacology of  dipehhydrammine, it has  anti cholinergic effects and may cause tachycardia (racing of  the  heart)in some patients.  Since the  effect is due to  diphenhydramine I  am afraid even the citrate salt will cause the  same  effect. Once it  enters your stomach  both HCl and Citrate ionize to  release diphenhydramine, which is absorbed in the body.
All the  best
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.