Pharmacy/lopid 300

Respected sir

one of my relatives  has been prescribed LOPID 300 for high cholestrol levels. Is this drug better thsn ourstatins like rosuvastatin and fenofibrate as according to my little layman knowledge it is not prescribed so often. Is this a betyer or rather effective drug as compared to rosuvastatin and fenofibrate combination.

Lopid contains Gemfibrozil a compound related to fibrates. Its mainly active on triglycerides, but has lesser action on LDLC and VLDLC.It is used in people whose TGs are high, and may be very useful for them. For people with high LDL we still prefer statins.
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.