Pharmacy/Need to know about the following medication

Question
QUESTION: I just started taking Omeprazole Dr. 40 mgs. Monday, November 2, 2015 for GERD.  How long does it take for the medication to actually kick in and completely work

ANSWER: Hi Debbie,
You should feel relief within 2 or 3 days.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

QUESTION: How come some pharmacists tell me it takes 2 to 3 days and others say two weeks.

And even a friend of mine who is a chemist says it takes two weeks?

Also why is it when I take it (one tablet for the entire day) in-between a meal I get terrible cramps but I can only take it right after dinner and I am fine?

ANSWER: Hi Debbie,
Omeprazole deceases the amount o acid your stomach makes. For the average person it would take 2-3 days to experience relief. I say this from personal experience as a GERD sufferrer and from what I see with patients. The effect for most people lasts for 24 hours. I have had some people who needed twice daily dosing for a short period of time and then reduced to a maintenanace of once daily.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

QUESTION: What does this mean: "The effect for most people lasts for 24 hours"

And no way am I taking medication for the rest of my life.  Also I think the people who go on maintenance or the medication doesn't work for them is that they don't stay away from the foods that trigger it.

I am totally staying away from foods and beverages that would trigger it and the only reason I am taking this medicine is to get rid of the acid I have now in my body.

Answer
Hi Debbie,
The acid suppression effect of the medication lasts 24 hours. You are ight on in identifying that staying away fom trigges would go a long way in helping you.
Hopefully once you get a handle on the acid reflux, an anti reflux diet would keep it in check. Some people still need medication if non medicinal measures are not enough.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt