Pharmacy/Omeprazole Dr. 40 mg capsule

Question
QUESTION: I just started taking this Monday, November 2, 2015 for GERD.  How long does it take for the medication to actually kick in and completely work

ANSWER: Hi Debbie,
In India we usually use this drug along with a prokinetic agent like itopride or mozapride for GERD. Omeprazole does reduce acid formation, but it has little effect on gastric reflux which is one of the causes of GERD. However, I do not mean to pass judgement on your doctors, they may have a specific reason to use omeprazole alone for you. You can expect the symptoms to start improving in two to four days, and total relief by 2 weeks. The treatment should be continued for 4 to 6 weeks for complete and lasting relief.
All the best.
Ravi Ghooi

QUESTION: What do you mean when you said it "reduces acid formation", and but it has little effect on gastric reflux which is one of the causes of GERD."

IF I used a prokinetic agent it would do more harm than good for me.  I had terrible contractions from the GERD - the medicine my doctor is giving me is to get rid of my symptoms,not enhance them.

Answer
Hi Debbie,
GERD is Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease, caused by the backward flow (reflux) of gastric contents into the esophagus. Gastric contents are highly acidic and the esophagus is sensitive to acids, hence it gets eroded by the acid. Using omeprazole one can reduce the acid content of the stomach, but as I said it does not reduce the back flow or reflux of the contents in the esophagus. Itopride or related drugs cause a forward movement of gastrointestinal contents and prevent backflow, for this reason  they are used together. If you disagree with my suggestion, I have no issue with it, but as I said this is the way we treat it in India, and to the best of my knowledge this is the way it is treated worldwide. I understand that Itopride, Mosapride and  other agents of this group are no longer available in  the  US, though they are available worldwide. Soem physicians in the US use Domperidone and metoclopramide both of which have the same effects. In any case a prokinetic will not increase your symptoms, this I  can assure you. I do not discount the single use of PPI for those who  find it adequate. But there is no doubt that a  combination of a PPI with a prokinetic controls symptoms faster and better.
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi