Pharmacy/Adderall and Pregnacy

I take Adderall 15 mg extended release once per day. I am trying to find some additional information on the safety of therapeutic use during pregnancy. I know it is a Category C but I am also finding a lot of conflicting information. Unfortunately i am one of those people who can not function without it. I risk losing my job and going into a pretty bad depression/anxiety. I am not scheduled to go to my OB til next week but I would like a pharmacist opinion as well. Thank you.

Hi Nicole,
Adverse effects have been observed in animal reproduction studies. The majority of human data is based on illicit amphetamine/methamphetamine exposure and not from therapeutic maternal use (Golub, 2005). Use of amphetamines during pregnancy may lead to an increased risk of premature birth and low birth weight; newborns may experience symptoms of withdrawal. Behavioral problems may also occur later in childhood (LaGasse, 2012).
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pham

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to