Pharmacy/Aldactone

Question
In your opinion, do you think the anti hypertensive, Aldactone, (spirinolactone) is safe for a breast cancer patient to take? I have read conflicting views of this. My family doctor wants to put me on 25mg aldactone daily for my high blood pressure but I had stage 3 breast cancer in 2003 and an reluctant to take a drug that may interfere with my hormones as my cancer was estrogen/prosgesterone positive. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer
Hello Maria,
Spironolactone  is a specific aldosterone  antagonist, it is also an  antagonist of the  androgen receptors. It therefore would have some  effects on  the estrogen progesterone  system too, and would affect EP Positive breast cancers, either positively or negatively. The  drug stimulates progesterone receptors  in doses about  10 times  more  than those  required to antagonize androgen receptors.
Since your tissue  was ER+ and PR+, the growth was promoted by estrogen  and  progesterone. Spironolactone  is a stimulant of progesterone receptor hence we need to be very careful with it.

We really need to look  up  what  other people have found with  spironolactone is such cases.

Between 1965 and  2015 there  are  39 reports  of  the association of spironolactone  and breast cancer. No study reports the use of  the drug in patients with a history of breast  cancer. Two Studies one from Denmark and one from UK are really important since they report the result with 2.3 and 1.2 million women respectively. Neither found any association of spironolactone with breast cancer.

Cautiously  I would say that there is adequate reason to  believe that  spironolactone is  not a  risk in you. It does stimulate the progesterone receptor but at doses which are  10 times higher than those used clinically. However I am sure  you physician will have an  opinion and your health is the responsibility of  that physician. Thus  while giving this opinion, I would yield to  the decision by your primary physician whether  to use  the drug or  not.
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi