Pharmacy/GERD to Gastritis?

When I started a new, stressfull job five years ago, I began drinking more coffee to stay awake during the night shift, and probably drinking excess alcohol on my days off. I developed acid reflux, and my doc put me on Omneprazole.
I was fine until recently, when I developed severe bloating and gastritis, and nausea every morning. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is called gastritis, which is the actual cause of the acid reflux?
I will see my doctor soon, and am thinking of increasing the dosage of the Omneprazole from 20 to 40, or trying Lansoprazole or something else. In your experiance, what is a popular drug for gastritis that is also effective for GERD?

Severe bloating and nausea may be related to many different diagnoses.  It does not automatically mean that you have gastritis.  Acid reflux is caused by many things, not just gastritis.  

As far as the popular drug for gastritis that is also effective for GERD, I think you may be thinking of the proton pump inhibitor drug class (PPI), which has a number of drugs such as omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole (nexium), pantoprazole (protonix) that may work.  I would talk to your physician before increasing the dose of the omeprazole.  

Nanaz Khosrowshahi

Being a pharmacist, I can answer questions on medications. This includes how drugs work in the body, drug interactions, drug side effects, warnings and precautions to take when using certain medications, dosage forms and strengths, management of overdosing, storage of medications, drug administration, contraindications, and drug indications. I am able to guide them on lab work that needs to be drawn and monitored while on certain medications. I am able to help patients save money when purchasing medications by directing them to cost-effective therapies. I am able to answer questions on federal laws governing pharmacy practice in the United States. I am unable to answer questions legally as if I am diagnosing the patient's disease or illness. For example, if a patient stated he had upper flank pain, I am unable to say he definitely has a urinary tract infection. However, I am able to direct the patient to the correct next step, which is to call his physician with such a side effect.

I have been a licensed pharmacist since 2007, holding licenses in CT and MA. I have a PHARM.D from an accelerated pharmacy school program. Currently, I work at the Hebrew Home and Hospital in West Hartford, CT as a pharmacist. I am a well-rounded pharmacist, with experience in long-term care, IV home infusion, retail, hospital, and hospice. I serve as the pharmacy unit coordinator for Mass Dispensing Area #31 in CT, where I am called upon as a volunteer pharmacist in case of public emergencies, such as anthrax threats. I helped run the swine flu vaccine clinic in 2009. I am on the Editorial Advisory Board for Pharmacy Today, a publication of the American Pharmacists Association. My position on the board runs for three years. Every month I make suggestions and offer ideas that would help improve the magazine. I have undergone extra training to administer vaccines to patients, which is training that only a certain percentage of registered pharmacists in the country have.

American Pharmacists Association 2007

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA- PHARM.D 2007 University of California, Irvine- BA psychology 2001 cum laude