Pharmacy/Ativan -- Side Effects

Question
Rx  1 mg Ativan for intermittent use for anxiety.  Tapered off Rx a few months ago.  However, I  was recently dx with ataxia, ataxic gait, nystagmus and RUE and RLE disdidokinesias. I experience  occasional abnormal cramps and bending of toes of the right foot. Neuro also noted a slight R foot drop.

MRI negative; labs unremarkable.  

Very concerned that I may be experiencing early signs of PD.  However, also heard that my symptoms may be side effects of Ativan.  

My question: could Ativan cause the unilateral side effects?  Or, would the drug cause bilateral symptoms?  Is this typical of the drug, even though I haven't taken any in months?

Thanks for your help,
Brooke

Answer

The ativan 1mg most likely did not cause these symptoms or side effects, whether unilateral or bilateral.  These symptoms or side effects are more typical of the drug if taken in high enough doses and/or taken frequently (ie 3mg every 4 hours) and/or taken for years consecutively.  Although these symptoms may occur at lower doses, at a less frequent dosing schedule (ie 0.25mg by mouth once daily as needed), and if taken intermittently, it is not common.  I am not a medical doctor but your signs and symptoms are most likely indicative of something else.  MRIs and labs are not the only diagnostic tools available.

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi