Pharmacy/period q14days with Perlutal, when next dose?

I get my period every 14 days with the Perlutal shot. I usually give myself the next shot 8 days after the first day of my period which would be on day 22. So my question is am I getting the shot too often? Am I supposed to wait til the 28 days of getting my period? Because I am sick and tired of having my period every 14 days :( and I am scared to wait til the 28th day because I really don't want to get pregnant. I have a 10 weeker right now and really need to wait before I get pregnant again.. Please advise, thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Cindy,
I do appreciate your problem, while I could advice you, there is the risk of pregnancy which you are worried about. The period cycle can be reset by a combination of drugs which would include estrogens and progesterone. I would advice you to start a a 21 day or a 28 day contraceptive. There are a large number of products available over the counter in the US (if you are from US) and you may choose from the following:
NordetteŽ (containing Ethinyl Estradiol, Levonorgestrel)
MircetteŽ (containing Desogestrel, Ethinyl Estradiol)
YasminŽ (containing Drospirenone, Ethinyl Estradiol)

I would be more comfortable if you did it under the supervision of a gynecologist at least for the first one or two cycles.
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

QUESTION: Thank you. Unfortunately American drugs make me extremely depressed, there isn't a single american birth control I have tried that hasn't given me major side effects (tried nuvaring,  pill, nordette, depo, yasmin, the patch) they all make me severely depressed, gain weight and not be able to lose it (and i'm a huge fitness freak) but the biggest problem of all is that severe depression the point that I feel I need to be institutionalized they completely debilitated me and I can't carry on a normal life. As soon as I'm off them I'm perfectly fine again. I'm so frustrated with the whole birth control thing, just gave up on it the last 3 years and ended up getting pregnant :/

Hi Cindy,
I am sorry I had not realized the magnitude of your problem. So you did get pregnant and probably had a child. Now one final thing that you could try is the surgical ligation of the fallopian tubes, this is reversible and will not produce any problems while not producing the side effects that you have had in the past. But of course it is your choice, I would have guessed that for correction the cycle, estrogen and progesterone combinations are the best.
You could think of tubal ligation, do let me know if that is an  option that you would like to consider.
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.