Pharmacy/Irbesartan 300mg.

Hi Eric!
I have been on Irbesartan 300mg. for seven years now. Recently, I asked my doctor to remove the diuretic portion, as I was making too many night trips to the bathroom, although my prostate is fine. Its been five months and that worked well.
The issue I now wish to address is my fatigue. As I understand it, this is a fairly common side effect of the drug. I have had slight fatigue since the beginning, but lately it has gotten worse. IT doesnt interfere with my work, escept for making me drink more coffee, which gives me heartburn! Lately however, I feel like just laying around. This could be because I am getting older (56)  but since I have no other conditions,  first I want to rule out medications.
Since I was first prescribed, I monitor my blood pressure, and it is improving. I have lost weight, exercise, and am following the DASH diet, and there is less strife in my life. Not sure why he started me out on the 300mg.
Would it be appropriate to ask for a lower dose of the irbestaran, 75 or 150 mgs? I just got a refill, and was planning  to split them in two to see how it goes. I know its not good to self medicate, but... Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Barry,
Most blood pressure lowering medications cause fatigue. Fatigue can also be caused by anemia and an undractive thyroid. have those checked to rule out these problems. Do not adjust yu medication without discussing it with your doctor.
Thank you for using Allexprts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to