Pharmacy/Gabapentin and weight gain

Question
Hi!

I have a herniated L5/S1 and mild to moderade sciatic pain down my left side. If I take 1200 mg of gabapentin per day (300mg 4x a day) my pain is basically managed. I am able to stay fairly active. I do elliptical, pilates, yoga and physical therapy 4 times a week and I eat a healthy diet. I am currently 114lbs and 5'5.

My question is, I am TERRIFIED of gaining weight from gabapentin. Is it true it will make you gain weight? Is the weight gain inevitable (water weight or will it slow my metabolism) or is it a result of people moving less and eating more (from being tired from the medicine)? If I continue my active lifestyle and healthy diet will I avoid weight gain from this medication?

I have slowly reached this dosage over the last few weeks and have been on 1200mg for one week. I have had ZERO side effects so far (including no fuzzy head, no weight gain so far....)

Thanks in advance!
Laurie

Answer

Weight gain is a side effect from gabapentin, but not all patients will experience it.  It may be a result of people moving less and eating more.  I am uncertain if it is water weight or slowing of the metabolism.  I cannot guarantee that if you continue your active lifestyle and healthy diet that it will avoid this weight gain.  I would discuss this all with your doctor.  If you do gain weight, stopping the gabapentin should most likely make you go back to your regular weight.

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi